Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SUITABLE CF AND SD CARD FOR D800

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: SUITABLE CF AND SD CARD FOR D800"

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Mon 19-Mar-12 05:40 AM | edited Mon 19-Mar-12 05:41 AM by icslowmo

>I normally want about 500 images on a card so it will handle
>a full day of shooting landscape and wildlife images. That
>won't cover all days, but does a pretty good job.
>
>The 75 mb file is uncompressed - it looks like closer to 45-50
>mb with lossless compression. That means I will need 22-26 gb
>for 500 images. I'll be rounding that to 32 GB.
>
>At 6 fps with a grip, you are talking about 300 mb/sec plus
>whatever processing time is required. Whether you are using a
>30 mb/ sec or 60 mb / sec won't make a lot of difference - it
>still takes time to clear the buffer once filled.

I would agree with first part about lossless taking less space but think on a 32gb card, one would get close to 500 images with uncompressed RAW on one card due to file sizes tend to be a little smaller then rated from my experiance with the D7000 (Averages 17-18mb per image). Nikon rates the D800 for 108 images on a 8gb card multiply that by 4 for a 32gb card and that's 432 images and then factor in slightly smaller pics and should get at least 450ish shots on 32gb card.... so very close to 500 as you are saying and that's uncompressed RAW at about 75mb per image... in lossless mode, I imagine one would easly get more then 500 on one card...

Now on the second part, the 6 fps is in DX mode which is 15 MP images and in turn much smaller image size think no more then 16-17mb per image with lossless compression... in FX mode the D800 will "only" do 4 fps, but if you think about that for a second that's 75mb X 4 images per sec = 300mb/sec of data. Now in DX that would be less. Just say a 15MP uncompressed file is 30mb X 6fps = 180mb/sec. Still not as much data rate as in FX mode and only the XQD cards are fast enough to keep buffers cleared.... The XQD cards are rated to 125mb/sec.... Anyway just sheading light on things didn't mean to come off as an A hole or anything just shooting out data....

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic SUITABLE CF AND SD CARD FOR D800 [View all] , marccarl21 , Sun 18-Mar-12 09:19 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SUITABLE CF AND SD CARD FOR D800