Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Minimum write speed CF cards for d800

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Minimum write speed CF cards for d800"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 26-Mar-12 12:12 PM

I now confess to confusion. I did a lot of reading last night, and found that write (not read) speeds seem to be like smoke. Most manufacturers don't quote them. Some are hazy like "read and write speeds up to".

Then I ran across this article at B&H that refers to the newer Lexar cards. Notice the table in the bottom, which lists a 20MB/s write speed for this fastest of cards.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/new-lexar-memory-cards-can-keep-any-camera

So I ran off to the Lexar site and all I found there was

"(150MB/s) minimum guaranteed sustained read transfer speed"
followed by a footnote "write speeds lower".

So off to Sandisk, where finally (on the Extreme Pro):

100MB/sec* write speed

But that has a fascinating footnote:

* Up to 100MB/sec write speed, read speed lower

OK, never heard of flash memory that wrote faster than it reads. Typo? So I look up at the top of that page in a video they have, and there it says:

Minimum sustained write speed of 20 MB/Sec

Now that's a big difference. OK, I get it, burst vs. sustained, but any card can stick a bit of fast buffer on the front and get a few microseconds of high speed write. But notice that's the same 20MB/s in the Lexar writeup from B&H.

Here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11673-12268

has some actual tests, and shows peaks in the 50MB/s range (and interestingly the Extreme and Extreme Pro not that different on all but the fastest camera in his table).

What I'm trying to do is compare SDXC write speeds with CF write speeds to decide what to put in the D800. Read speeds (to me) are largely irrelevant.

Is 10MB/S really the peak of write speeds for SDXC?

Is there any reliable source (other than the limited tests at Rob Galbraight's site) of WRITE performance?

My current thinking is to get:

- Large, 128G SD card for overflow, backups in more "one time only" events, and if I ever take movies

- One fastest, small ($) CF card if I am shooting action

- Several medium speed CF cards for normal use, as a compromise

But they sure don't make it easy to find out what real speeds are.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic Minimum write speed CF cards for d800 [View all] , col4bin Silver Member , Fri 23-Mar-12 12:08 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Minimum write speed CF cards for d800