Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800, Auto-ISO and built in flash - is this right? No...

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800, Auto-ISO and built in flash - is this right? Not good"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 25-Mar-12 12:01 PM | edited Sun 25-Mar-12 12:08 PM by Ferguson

>In one of the forums, the link for the manual was posted.
>Might try that.

I've been reading the menual since the day it was posted, also the technical supplement they posted. Neither one speaks to the concern, as best I can see.

What I really need to do is get back where I have both the D300 and an external flash to check. I really liked the way my D300 worked, but 95% of the time I used it in that mode it was with an SB800, which has some real differences (notably you can turn of BL in center or matrix metering mode, something not possible in the D300 or D800 as best I can tell with the popup.

Here is what I am trying, tell me what you expect:

- Frame a close surface with no background, I used a bed spread at about 4'
- Set camera to manual (I used 1/90th and 2.8)
- Be sure it is dark enough that the base ISO is insufficient
- Set to spot metering (turning off BL, but same results with)
- Fire three shots at the same composition:
1) With auto-ISO, no flash
2) With auto-ISO, with flash
3) With no Auto-ISO, with flash

When I do this, case (1) and (2) are about the same ISO (in this case it went from 100 to 1500, but case (3) is at the base ISO.

More interestingly, case (2) and (3) are about the same exposure (both by eye and histogram). Clearly in case (3) it had ample flash power, and had actually REDUCED the flash power in case (2) and increased the ISO instead.

Which (in my opinion) is dead wrong. I want it (in non-BL mode) to always increase the flash to max before increasing the ISO. Which is what I Think the D300 did.

Are my expectations not right?

PS. I just found this discussion on the subject when the D300s came out.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1039&message=35622486

It appears similar. I tested commander mode (as mentioned) and it appears to simply turn auto-ISO off entirely for flash use, so that's not a good workaround.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic D800, Auto-ISO and built in flash - is this right? No... [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Sun 25-Mar-12 01:28 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800, Auto-ISO and built in flash - is this right? ...