Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 27-Oct-13 07:32 PM

Well, I shot Golf today, which unusually meant I was shooting the D4 and D800 together, about equally.

It's the D4 that's off. Quite far actually.

Bright, sunny daylight and it pretty consistently shot at 4500-4700 degrees (as read after the fact in Lightroom). The D800 was about 5000-5500, about where I expect and more to the point it looked right. Setting it with the dropper in lightroom kept it very similar to the D800.

About half way through today I switched the D4 from A1 to A2, without much if any effect (probably correct as it's aimed at warmer tones at lower temperatures).

The difference frame to frame (between the cameras) in similar scenes was huge, so I'm having to adjust all the D4 shots.

One of the few times I've really relied on auto white balance, as usually I'm on a particular field or place, not roaming a fairway. Kind of a pain. Going to have to see if I can use the fine tune to adjust (I've heard it is pretty finicky as you need larger adjustments at once end than the other, so not sure).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://www.captivephotons.com

This is a hot, active topic! Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere? [View all] , Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians , Sun 13-Oct-13 01:17 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?
                    Reply message "RE: Auto-White balance is off - setting somewhere?"