Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 TRIPOD IMAGES, PLEASE?

KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, UK
248 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 TRIPOD IMAGES, PLEASE?"

KolinP Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 13th May 2006
Sun 25-Mar-12 03:22 AM | edited Sun 25-Mar-12 03:24 AM by KolinP

Well ... I've been fascinated and (re)educated in about equal measure by the discussions here on this D800/D800E sensor's resolution and the diffraction issues - but isn't there a (fast) shutter-speed threshold that we could bring into the equations which would (mostly) eliminate the worries about hand-held vibrations?

When I say "hand-held vibrations", I don't mean shots taken while riding a vehicle or even while panning - but given the rule-of-thumb for VR (and even for VR II) which says(?) that for shots taken at shutter speeds faster than 1/500th sec, our VR brings little or no benefit, couldn't this principle be extrapolated to give us a similar "rule-of-thumb" to use when assessing whether a D800(E) photo is too "shaky" to be accepted as a fully representative example of its class?

For example, I see that in Peronne's shot of the two sprinters - FSU_Relays_2012_D80_0461 - on an adjacent thread, he used a shutter speed of 1/2000th second. Isn't that shutter speed fast enough to eliminate all concerns - such as yours Gator Bob - about non-tripod-mounted D800 shots? (Regardless of the subject matter.)

If not (and I'm genuinely interested in the science here), then what shutter speed would be fast enough?

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

This is a hot, active topic! D800 TRIPOD IMAGES, PLEASE? [View all] , Gator Bob Silver Member , Sat 24-Mar-12 05:13 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 TRIPOD IMAGES, PLEASE?