Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

ev compensation for normal shooting

avisys

Placitas, US
482 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ev compensation for normal shooting"

avisys Basic Member
Wed 11-Sep-13 12:49 AM | edited Wed 11-Sep-13 01:11 AM by avisys

In the "good old days" of digital SLRs, such as the D70, it turned out that it was very easy to overexpose, i.e., the curve crashing and burning off the right end, especially in our harsh sunlit areas here at high elevation and, in my first digital experience, at 8,000 feet in Yellowstone (WOW! That was a lesson quickly learned! Thank God I had Photoshop on my laptop!).

But the dynamic range of those "good old days" cameras was really narrow. And, just maybe, the ISO ratings weren't exactly kosher.

These days, things are far better --- only on occasions will you hear somebody say, "I always dial in 1/4 stop minus," or whatever. And, frankly, the capabilities of Photoshop and Lightroom, etc., make those adjustments moot, IN MY OPINION.

And, since you are in the D800 forum, I'll add that my experience is that the dynamic range of this camera is far beyond any expectations of five years ago, and the metering accuracy is simply stunning, IN MY OPINION.

Hell, I'll put my camera on Matrix, Program, and run all day, except in those obvious situations where the human brain has to step in. And even then, if I select "Spot," it's the camera's brains doing the "Spot" work.

Some will tell you, "I always meter separately, and always use Manual Exposure, because my brain is far superior to the camera's." To those people, I can only say, "Quick, multiply 4960 times 34.8."

AviSys

A general, generic topic ev compensation for normal shooting [View all] , gorji , Tue 10-Sep-13 09:15 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ev compensation for normal shooting