Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Camera Straps- Is there a better alternative

noneco

Vancouver, CA
321 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Camera Straps- Is there a better alternative"

noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Mon 09-Sep-13 07:30 PM

Ron:

There is no strap or bag for all occasions. Sorry, just reality. I have a RRS L-Plate on my camera, but a regular plate would do. I also replaced the 2 strap connectors on the camera with 3/4” split rings. So, some ideas:

- RRS has a Mini-Clamp that clamps onto a camera plate or lens foot to which you attach your shoulder or neck strap of choice:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-FABN&type=0&eq=

- I also use the Cotton Carrier Hand Strap

A neck strap is good for back yard shooting or gatherings, a shoulder or sling strap works for walkabouts with a smallish lens, but it is better to have the weight off of you neck. I use a combination of short 3-4” and medium 5-8” length Op/Tech Swivel Hook Connectors. This is where the split rings come in.

http://optechusa.com/system-connectors.html

I have the webbing shortened at a local luggage repair shop. The short straps clip onto D-rings on my hiking back pack, camera back pack, or camera vest. They are short and permanently hang on all of my and my wife’s bags. The longer pair of the Swivel Hook Connectors clip onto the split rings on the camera - leave enough length for some adjustment. If you’re on a tripod or using a shoulder strap just unclip from the split rings. When you put your camera down, clip the straps on the camera together and you have a grab handle. This also leaves less stuff hanging to get in the way.

If your newest and greatest ever bag does not have D-rings, back to the luggage repair shop to have them sew on a pair high on the shoulder straps.

For my binoculars, I put Op/Tech Uni-Loops on them and use their System Connector Extensions to connect to one of their straps. This works to hang my camera around my neck as well.

And for that oh-so-heavy, after about an hour, D800 with a 70-200 or 80-400:

Use a 24” piece of 3/4” webbing and put a swivel hook at each end but make the strap adjustable at each hook. Cross the webbing at the midpoint and have a 6” loop sewn. (The luggage repair shop is getting to know you by this time.) Clip the ends to your D-rings and slip the foot of the lens through the loop. Good for standing, a little bouncy for walking but slip your hand into the Hand Strap to stabilize and to quickly pull the camera up for a shot. After you get the length that works for you, cut off the excess from each end.

I cut the webbing and wrap masking tape around the sewing sites before I go to the sewer. An outdoor shop and/or your now friendly luggage repair shop will likely have D-rings, webbing, and spring clips.

Just my way. Cal

This is a hot, active topic! Camera Straps- Is there a better alternative [View all] , GrtDay , Sun 08-Sep-13 01:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Camera Straps- Is there a better alternative