Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Contemplating the Purchase of a D800

driffert

Newburgh, US
161 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Contemplating the Purchase of a D800"

driffert Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2007
Fri 06-Sep-13 01:24 PM

I have been using my D80 since Sept 2006. Even though it still takes great photos, I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the D300 replacement (D400) to take advantage of the technological advances since 2006. Since there is doubt as to when the D400 will be released, or if at all, I am contemplating getting the D800 instead. So I have a couple of questions:

1. I know that the D800 is an excellent camera in all respects but is there a chance that its update (D800s, etc.) will be released within the next 12 months. I’d hate to spend that much on a camera, albeit a great camera, and then discover that an updated version has just been released.

2. Lens Selection – My all around lens for my D80 has been the kit lens Nikkor 18-135 and it has worked well for me in most instances. I understand that it will not work well on the D800 since it was designed for the smaller sensor in the D80. I do have other lenses that will still work that I use for specialized situations. For an all around lens for the D800, I have been considering the Nikkor 28-300 or the Nikkor 24-120. Can any of you give me any input as to which of these lenses would work best on the D800? I want a sharp lens that will complement the outstanding image resolution capabilities of the D800.

Thanks.

Denny Riffert
Newburgh, IN
Nikon D80
My Nikonians Gallery
My website

A general, generic topic Contemplating the Purchase of a D800 [View all] , driffert Silver Member , Fri 06-Sep-13 11:24 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Contemplating the Purchase of a D800