Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is is safe for me to take my D800 and its lenses on my ...

Richcower

US
323 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Is is safe for me to take my D800 and its lenses on my recumbent trike?"

Richcower Registered since 22nd Jan 2013
Wed 04-Sep-13 02:17 PM

I ride a bike about 25 miles a day for exercise. I don't worry about the bumps, my concerns on a 2 wheel traditional bike are more about crashing and busting the camera, I've ridden a bunch of trikes - I'm fascinated by them - and doubt the normal falling over on the street type of crash is something you have to worry about, the ones I rode were pretty hard to tip over. Do you have a rack on the rear wheel of your trike? You can use panniers, I've carried my D800 in mine (Ortliebs) but I've never felt secure having it in them in case I crash. Another good option for the rear rack is a padded trunk bag, the Topeak RX Trunkbag is one I've used that works pretty well assuming you've got something (rear rack) to hook it too. I ride a fully suspended mt bike and have a front rack from Old Man Mountain on it. If I'm wanting to bring more than the one lens on the camera, I'll put the gear in my Lowepro bag which has good padding and bungie it on my front rack. If I'm just bringing the camera and one short lens I'll put in a Topeak handlebar bag which offers good protection in a crash. I doubt the handlebar bag would work on your trike. If I'm taking my tripod I'll hook my Bob trailer up and put my Lowepro camera bag in it along with the tripod. A trailer should work on your bike if you want to go that route. BOB makes a couple of nice ones, my recommendation would be to get the one with suspension.
I wouldn't worry about the bumps, as long as the camera is in something with padding you should be ok.
Curious, which trike are you riding and how do you like it? I'm a geezer and keep thinking I should migrate to one soon before I hurt myself, senior citizens don't heal fast.

A topic tagged as having a question Is is safe for me to take my D800 and its lenses on my ... [View all] , leonardevens Gold Member , Tue 03-Sep-13 11:54 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is is safe for me to take my D800 and its lenses on...