Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 is it really a camera for landscapes?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 is it really a camera for landscapes?"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Mon 26-Mar-12 01:58 PM

>Correct me if I'm wrong, what I'm taking from your comments,
>is if I have been satisfied with the results of my previous
>cameras at f16-f22, then I should not be overly concerned with
>my D800. I should be just as happy or more so with the results
>of my new D800. By the way the wide angle lens I have been
>using is the Nikon 16-35 f4.0.

I am not an expert but that is my take on both the physics and some early testing.

One caveat: when you are in a post processing program now, and look at a 1:1, bear in mind it's a very different 1:1 image than before. I think that's what is throwing a lot of people. Everywhere you see "this is a 100% crop", what they are saying is "this is X pixels". With twice the pixels for a given part of an image in each direction (+/-) this means in effect you are seeing a 2x magnification relative to a 1:1 image with your prior camera.

What's more meaningful is to take the same percentage of the frame. So on a D700 if you look at a quarter frame as a crop, and do the same on the D800, I think you will find at all F stops the D800 has the same or more detail.

Now Sharpness is something I have not experimented with, or more specifically the edge contrast added when you sharpen in post processing. Because you have more pixels, your edge is different, and I do not know whether for a specific type and amount of sharpening you will get the same result. One habit I will need to consider is that to sharpen I usually go to 200% and make it "a bit crunchy". Now that 200% is different. Experimentation needed.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

A general, generic topic D800 is it really a camera for landscapes? [View all] , GJA , Mon 26-Mar-12 06:13 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 is it really a camera for landscapes?