Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shooting tethered with D800

piowoc

St. Louis, US
181 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Shooting tethered with D800"

piowoc Registered since 06th Aug 2007
Wed 28-Mar-12 02:03 PM

Hi guys,

I don't know if it has been reported here before, but the tethered shooting with D800 works just fine. I tried it this morning with Camera Control Pro 2 and View NX and was pleasantly surprised how fast the images appeared on the screen of my laptop. It took about a second to be able to see the picture after pressing the shutter release. The camera was connected via USB 3.0 cable to USB 3.0 port directly and the folder for saving the images was created on the HDD of my laptop and I was shooting lossless compressed RAW, which are 40-45MB in size on average. I used the 3 feet long USB 3.0 cable included in D800 package, but I guess that when I switch to 10 or 15 feet long cables I have in my studio the transfer speed may get reduced a bit.
When I tried to save the images on an USB 3.0 memory stick attached to another USB 3.0 port the process was much slower, probably around 3-4 seconds for the image to appear on the screen. I guess it was because both USB 3.0 ports were on the same PC Card inserted into my laptop, so they probably shared bandwidth. Another possible problem was the fact that for the images saved to an external memory stick to appear on the screen my laptop had to retrieve them back from it and the reading speed from the memory stick, although USB 3.0, is not as fast as from the internal SATA HDD.
I didn't try shooting tethered with LR4, because normally I don't use it for this purpose, but I guess it should work just fine if CCP 2 works.
Just to let you know.

Regards,
Peter

A general, generic topic Shooting tethered with D800 [View all] , piowoc , Wed 28-Mar-12 12:03 PM