Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10639 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Star trails D800"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Tue 06-Aug-13 06:35 PM

As others have indicated, the time for LENR is a problem - especially with 30 sec exposures or longer. If you want long star trails, I'd probably use a single image with a much longer exposure. You can combine multiple exposures in post processing if desired. I think for the image you are sharing here, and exposure of an hour or two would make more sense. I'd probably try to have an exposure of 2-3 times as long as the total elapsed time in the posted image.

I appreciate the composition here is with a wide lens, but normally for star trails you would use a longer lens to see clear trails in a reasonable time frame. You would stop down the lens and use a lower ISO.

A wide lens is normally used for big sky images of the Milky Way or other elements but not trails. For these images you would use the 500 seconds divided by the focal length rule to calculate shutter speed, shoot relatively wide open, and use ISO to allow an exposure in the time available.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

A general, generic topic Star trails D800 [View all] , lee1949 Silver Member , Tue 06-Aug-13 02:23 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Star trails D800
Reply message Don't make choice of LENR or gaps -- get both