Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Thanks B&H!---.For solving my D800 pre-order problem!

makiru

Manila, PH
102 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Thanks B&H!---.For solving my D800 pre-order problem!"

makiru Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2008
Tue 27-Mar-12 01:43 PM

...phew, had to check for a moment that I wasn't reading DPReview...they get similar posts. Had a look at your profile and wow, quite an extensive bit of kit. I did notice that you list your main Nikon camera as the D800???!!!, guess you'll have to change it now. Or send it back, but wait, you cancelled your order, sorry confused.

What would have happened if you'd got the call days ago that the camera was in? How much of your extensive kit collection was impulse purchase? The V1 perhaps?

I guess we can thank you and Perrone for confirming what Nikon have stated; that the D800 is not a sports camera...that's the D4 (sorry, I've posted something about the D4 in the D700/D800 forum...) and at 4fps, really, a sports camera????, not really rocket science is it.

For a guy with so much stuff, I would have thought that at least some feedback from 'real' users would be required before purchasing let alone knowing that the price will come down once the furore has died down. I have never bought a camera without at least reading and seeing as many pictures as I can and to get real feedback from this hallowed forum, to make a balanced decision. 3000 USD is a lot of money, in the UK, Nikon have increased the price due to an 'administrative error', the D800 is now 2600 GBP and the D800E is 2900 GBP. If the D800 was not your style of shooting, then why pre-order? If you were happy with your D700, then what was your reason to pre-order?

I will buy a D800E (of course, not in the UK...) to complement my D3s (sorry, D3s mentioned in the D700/D800 forum...) as I will use it for HDR, panoramics, landscapes, focus stacking, macro and a load of other stuff where resolution is the main driver AND everybody knows the best chance of sharpness is on a tripod. You are actually dealing with a pseudo MF quality in a 35mm size body WHICH can also be hand held if your skill is up to it. Mine is, ever since my OM1, OM2, OM4, F801, F4s, F5, Hasselbald 503CW and plethora of point and shoots, I get sharp pictures. Some examples I have seen of the D800 hand held are great. Where's the problem?

I am glad you have reached the conclusion that the D800 is not worth a 3000 USD hit to your bank account, at least someone who really wants one and who can actually appreciate what Nikon are trying to do with this type of camera will now have the chance to own one. Yes, I agree, reading peoples thoughts/wants can be a bit tedious, but apart from those telling us where to buy one, the point of a Forum is to ask questions, to get opinions, to get another point of view, to consider something you may not have considered so that you can make what you hope will be the right decision (yes, there is still that element of 'what if it isn't' in it...), your decision considered non of the above and I'm happy for you that you appear to have come to your senses...

Yep, let's split the forum so the D700 chappies can whinge how lucky they were in saving so much money.

In fact I have to apologise for falling into the trap of actually commenting on a post that doesn't really say anything...

A general, generic topic Thanks B&H!---.For solving my D800 pre-order problem! [View all] , piniongear , Mon 26-Mar-12 12:52 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Thanks B&H!---.For solving my D800 pre-order proble...