Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Any advice for Airshow settings?

w0gm

Fort Collins, US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Any advice for Airshow settings?"

w0gm Registered since 03rd Jan 2006
Fri 19-Jul-13 09:19 PM

Dave, I'd definitely use a monopod for that lens. I use one with my 200-400mm Nikkor. It'll do a couple of things. First, your images will be sharper. Second, you'll be able to take more images since you won't be nearly as tired at the end of the day. I suspect that you'll be quite tired hefting that huge lens around all day, even with your size, without some kind of camera support.

As someone else mentioned, for the "air" part of the airshow, I usually use manual exposure. The exposure difference between a shiny P-51 and a dark Spitfire would be many clicks of the compensation wheel. Set the exposure, then check once in a while.

For propeller aircraft, the shutter speed should be less than about 1/160th second. Otherwise, you'll stop the prop resulting in an unnatural looking airplane. For jets, I set use the widest aperture the lens has. That will allow the fastest shutter speed possible.

When shooting ground displays, patience is a virtue. I've often waited many minutes for people to get out of the way for a shot. Be ready, though, because an opening never lasts more than a second or two at a busy show.

Oh, and have fun!

Bill

Bill Standerfer
Fort Collins, CO

My website.

A general, generic topic Any advice for Airshow settings? [View all] , thauma , Wed 17-Jul-13 06:16 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Any advice for Airshow settings?