Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

If you're on the fence about a D800 due to size/weight....

briantilley

Paignton, UK
30235 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: If you're on the fence about a D800 due to size/weight..."

briantilley Gold Member Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003
Tue 09-Jul-13 06:21 PM

I'm not sure I completely follow your logic...

I manage quite well with just the 18mm and 35mm Fujinons as a walk-around kit; the 35mm on a 16MP DX body gives you about the same cropping ability as a 28mm on a 35MP FX body.

The combination of X-Pro 1, 35mm and 18mm weighs only 820g against 1200-1330g for the D800e and a 28mm (depending which lens you have), and the Fuji kit takes up quite a bit less space in a bag.

You'll only get a D800e image down to a 5-7MB JPEG by reducing the size and/or increasing compression - thereby reducing quality and negating many of the benefits of the 36MP sensor. A Large Fine JPEG from the D800e is around 16MP.

That's not to say that a D800e isn't a great camera, even for walkaround, but some people might make a different choice

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

A general, generic topic If you're on the fence about a D800 due to size/weight.... [View all] , Surge75 , Tue 09-Jul-13 04:00 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: If you're on the fence about a D800 due to size/wei...