Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame, e....

DGB66

UK
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame, e.g.Hasselblad, Mamiya, etc"

DGB66 Registered since 15th Jun 2013
Mon 08-Jul-13 01:08 PM

I used to own a Hasselblad H4d-50 prior to my divorce and unfortunately I had to sell it as part of the settlement. The image quality is stunning and the tonal range supposes the D800 but remember the H4D records at 16 bit colour, if you compare images side by side then the Hasselblad wins. However its not all plain sailing.

The Hasselblad is not good with outdoor conditions, weather proofing is very poor but its not been designed that way. Read some of the Hasselblad forums there's plenty of minor problems with connectivity. Some get regular error message "reattach lens" etc, I've experienced that when photographing a sunset, not good at all. It produces stunning images but there's associated problems.

The shallow depth of field can be a problem for landscape photographers like me, you have to be very critical with setting the hyperfocal length, I've experienced many failures compared to 35mm hyper focal and this is with 35years experience in photography.

Overall I'm happy with the D800e and have no intentions to change back to medium format when my finances improve. The only part of the H4D is miss is the large viewfinder. The D800e is a lot more flexible and reliable for my style of photography i.e. Landscape work. I now print most of my work at 24'x30" max size, the D800e is very capable of supporting this with good quality IQ.

A general, generic topic D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame, e.... [View all] , DinoCardelli , Sun 07-Jul-13 11:04 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame...