Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame, e....

icslowmo

Surprise, US
613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame, e.g.Hasselblad, Mamiya, etc"

icslowmo Registered since 01st Jan 2012
Mon 08-Jul-13 06:41 AM

I am not a pro, but will offer what I've seen on the net. When it comes to resolution and dynamic range, and color depth, medium format still has a slight lead over the D800(E). The couple of reviews I've seen seem to say it's a minor lead, but I have a feeling it has more to do to the fact the D800 is limited by the 14bit files vs 16bit of the medium format cameras. With more bit depth, there will be more data. Now I believe the one area the D800(E) has a lead with no question would be high iso performance.

Now for comparing the two systems, I depends on what you already have invested into a system. If you have a lot of 35mm glass, it may cost you a bit to move to a MF system as you have seen is not cheap, granted to many, the 35mm digital system isn't exactly cheap either with good glass. Also with focal length, it will "shrink" like from going DX to FX is to FX to MF. I'm not sure of the ratio but for an un-exact example, 80mm lens on MF may be closer to a 50mm lens when thinking of FOV. Also, depth of field would be reduced as well due to sensor size and also from using longer lenses...

Now to the main question of would you see it in a print? Depends on the print size and viewing distances, but if very large prints and/or very close viewing distance is of concern with larger prints, some would say there is a difference, but again, it all comes down to the size of the prints.

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame, e.... [View all] , DinoCardelli , Sun 07-Jul-13 11:04 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Flagship - How Does It Compare to Medium Frame...