Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

IrfanView and FastPictureViewer with D800 Files

migs

Warrington, UK
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: IrfanView and FastPictureViewer with D800 Files"

migs Basic Member
Tue 09-Jul-13 10:31 AM | edited Tue 09-Jul-13 10:37 AM by migs

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the main program doesn't support PSD, RAW files or .hdr, amongst others, without the Codec pack. It does support RAW thumbnails in Windows Explorer, but that's it.

The Codec Pack is another $14.95 (currently discounted from $19.95).

I can sort of understand .psd, as a lot of image viewers have an issue with layers (including IrfanView), but to not support RAW out of the box is poor, I think, for commercial software.

Given that IrfanView does a ton more useful stuff, for free, it's a no-brainer for me. Having now tried FPV, I'd probably have stuck with IrfanView even without the sudden and unexplained speed increase.

EDIT: I've just clicked part-way through the buying process, and it does seem to be $49.95 for the FPV + Codec bundle. Why it also has the Codec Pack separate for $14.95, I'm not sure. I can only assume the bundle is a new offer, and people have previously bought FPV on its own.

--
Paul
- Head full of magic, shoes full of rain

A general, generic topic IrfanView and FastPictureViewer with D800 Files [View all] , migs , Sun 07-Jul-13 10:19 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: IrfanView and FastPictureViewer with D800 Files