Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 sharpness help please

phil711

Williams, US
144 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 sharpness help please"

phil711 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2008
Sun 29-Apr-12 06:31 PM

I cheat. My eyes are not as good as used to be and I am a bit color challenged. So, before making a serious photo (with tripod, and all), I make a reference photo carefully focussed at f/8 and containing a gray card. This becomes a reference image when I post process the real one.

I have not yet received my D800, but with my D700 images I can mitigate the effects of diffraction at f/16 and f/22. I find it far easier to evaluate my post processing efforts by comparing them to a reference rather than looking at a single image.

There seems to be a lot of extreme concern and hand wringing about diffraction with the D800 at f/11 and smaller aperture settings. I have used Jason O'Dell's sharpening techniques for a year or so and find them quite effective. Although I do not expect to totally eliminate the effects of diffraction with the D800, I absolutely refuse to give up on f/16 without a fight.

Good luck.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800 sharpness help please [View all] , davidset Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 , Sun 29-Apr-12 03:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 sharpness help please