Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 RAW files corrupted by out of date Nikon Tranfer

agitater

Toronto, CA
4526 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 RAW files corrupted by out of date Nikon Tranfer"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 03-Jul-13 09:24 PM

>2. never, ever, use card readers, since for a number of
>reasons, they can easily corrupt your inserted CF or SD cards
>and the files contained thereon.

Never a corrupt file in well over 300,000 image file transfers. Junk happens with every file transfer method - Mac OS 9, OS X, Windows 95/XP/Vista/7/8, all flavours of Linux, etc., etc. - but on balance the percentage of problems are vanishingly low. SanDisk and Lexar card readers are very, very, fast compared to a tethered DSLR. A good quality card reader is by far the most reliable file transfer method, whether you're importing directly into ACDSee Pro (or whatever your preferred asset manager happens to be), using Mac OS X or Windows 7/8, or using Windows Explorer or OS X Finder to do a straight copy & paste into a folder.

>3. keep your expensive SD cards and CF cards in your camera
>bodies and do the file transfers straight from camera to the
>computer. this is where the current mac OSX mountain lion is
>vastly superior to windows. mac OSX can import RAW files from
>all current nikon bodies straight from camera to hard drive.
>the mac OSX recognizes RAW files and saves and retains all
>metadata.

I disagree. Many of us who travel extensively regularly swap out SD and CF cards because we don't reuse any cards on any one trip - they're a backup set, in addition to a copy on a laptop and a copy on a portable external drive. Failing to cycle out SD and CF cards from time to time shortens the usable life of any one card and increases the likelihood of a card failure (at least, according to the card makers - and I tend to agree, based on my own reviews and testing).

Microsoft has been making a RAW file importer for three years, supplied as a free download. Once installed for Windows 7 and later, the current version reads, displays and copies all Nikon NEF files (except for the D7100 - but lots of other RAW convertors haven't yet been rev'd for the D7100) with metadata intact.

>4. I know aperture 3.4.5 is not popular among many pros, and
>certainly even less popular among nikonians. but the new apple
>display technologies make post-processing so much easier on my
>old eyes.

I'm not sure why you feel this way. There are boatloads of pros, enthusiasts, amateurs and Nikonians of all kinds who are using Aperture 3 right now. The only complaint anyone has about Aperture 3 is that Apple is taking its sweet time about releasing a major revision. There are top rank pros using Aperture and regular podcasting and blogging about (not to mention producing top quality output).

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

This is a hot, active topic! D800 RAW files corrupted by out of date Nikon Tranfer [View all] , paustin Silver Member , Tue 02-Jul-13 07:29 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 RAW files corrupted by out of date Nikon Tranf...