Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5988 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3"

DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sat 24-Mar-12 11:18 PM

I just had to help Nikon Tech Support figure out a weird issue with my D800. It turned out to be a software problem with Nikon Transfer. All my JPEG files were reporting in View NX2 and Capture NX2 (vs 2.3.0) as 7360x4912 in size. All my RAW (NEF) files were reporting in as 1632x1080 (terribly undersized). I had upgraded both View NX2 and Capture NX2 to vs. 2.3.0, so I was completely confused and freaked out. Nikon tech support had never heard of the problem and wanted to research it. I was on hold for several minutes.

While he was researching I got to thinking. What in the chain of events affected the images? Then it occurred to me, I had not upgraded Nikon Transfer 1.5.3, which I used to transfer the images to my computer. When the tech came back with no solution, I told him I suspected that Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 didn't know how to transfer my files correctly. He told me that I should try the transfer utility built into View NX2. I had no idea View NX2 even had a transfer utility until the tech helped me find the giant TRANSFER button on the button bar. Once I used the transfer utility within View NX2, all was well.

The moral of the story. Upgrade ALL Nikon software when you get a new camera. Second moral: Use Nikon View NX2 to transfer files instead of the standalone Nikon Transfer Utility since it will be updated whenever Nikon View NX2 is updated.

Nikon Tech took notes on my problem and I'm sure the issue with the standalone Nikon Transfer will be fixed quickly. If any of you have a D800 and are seeing NEF files of 1632x1080, use View NX2 vs. 2.3.0 to transfer your files, instead.

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

This is a hot, active topic! A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5.3 [View all] , DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 , Sat 24-Mar-12 10:18 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A warning about using a D800 and Nikon Transfer 1.5...