Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF-on"

K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Thu 16-May-13 05:29 PM

I use the AF-On only pretty much exclusively. Hand held or tripod - makes no difference. That way, focus and shutter release are always two separate thought processes and actions on my part, which gives me the level of control I want.

As an example, on a long exposure on a tripod, normally I need to close the eyepiece shutter first to block extraneous light from the meter. But before I close it, I want to know that I have locked the focus, and when I press the shutter there is no chance of the focus changing since I can no longer see through the viewfinder.

There can be situations where using the shutter to do both is needed, like capturing timid wildlife that will not come if I am around. I set up on a tripod, hide somewhere with a wireless remote, and wait for the animal to come into the frame. Unless I know in advance exactly what distance they will be from the camera at that point, then I do want to focus and release the shutter with a single press of the button. But these are by far the exceptions.

And finally knowing me, if I started mixing the occasional use of the shutter doing both, I would end up screwing the focus up - forgetting that the camera will refocus when I press the shutter, because I am so used to the AF-On only method. I need to keep it simple!

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

This is a hot, active topic! AF-on [View all] , helmdr , Wed 15-May-13 02:22 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF-on