Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jhearl

Milford, VA, US
465 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: ADVICE"

jhearl Registered since 16th Apr 2007
Thu 09-May-13 01:05 PM

I too have to mention the learning curve. I went from a D40X to a D300 some years ago and it was a major leap even though I had lots of experience with digital and film cameras. Not one that I regret for an instant, but it took a long time (maybe a year or more) before I was really comfortable with the D300. When I went to the D800E, it was a very simple transition because it was functionally so similar to the D300 although I'm still learning how to get the best out of it and I've had it for nearly a year now.

There's also a major cost factor in going from DX to FX. I decided to buy a 24-70 lens for my D800E and we're talking about $5K for the camera and just one general-purpose lens. Again, a very big leap from a D40X.

I might suggest you take a look at the D7100 instead. You could use your existing DX lenses and it is considerably less expensive than the D800. Had it been available when I bought my D800E, I might well have gone that way myself. Of course, your needs will vary and you may be independently wealthy, in which case the D800E with about $6K to $10K worth of lenses, a new tripod, and a few other odds and ends may be exactly what you want. But be prepared for a big investment in time to get the best out of it.

Cheers -
John

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

A topic tagged as having a question ADVICE [View all] , OliverR , Wed 08-May-13 04:08 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: ADVICE