Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

AF Fine tuning on D800

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1479 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: AF Fine tuning on D800"

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Wed 08-May-13 06:03 AM

Thanks Kodiak

I will post a few more.

I was shooting with flash due to strong sunlight causing strong contrast in some of my previous shots. Using flash limits sync speed to 1/250. Auto FP flash at 1/320 is a waste of time because it weakens and extends the flash duration giving more opportunity for blur. the non flash shots were f8, 1/1000 sec, ISO 1600 and similar focus effects were observed. Lens mounted on a tripod with Wimberley head and VR in tripod mode. I will look for one or two pics taken without flash that show same effect and will also post one of the keepers that I got.

Regarding AF settings I use single point because aiming for the eye or head. If using 9 point AF the camera tends to pick up the breast of the bird which is slightly closer, or it picks up surrounding vegetation. At present, focus priority release is enabled so the camera is thinking it is in focus as you see the pic. this is why I think there is a slight front focus issue. My AF adjust setting is currently zero so there is plenty latitude for correction and I am not worried about it.

Heading for wintertime here and the days are short so I am not getting enough light to shoot before and after work ...will have to wait for the weekend to get some more test shots done.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

A general, generic topic AF Fine tuning on D800 [View all] , jamesvoortman Silver Member , Sun 05-May-13 07:36 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: AF Fine tuning on D800