Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Bengt Nyman

Stockholm, SE & San Diego, US
101 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800EM"

Bengt Nyman Registered since 10th Apr 2013
Sun 05-May-13 09:08 AM | edited Sun 05-May-13 09:34 AM by Bengt Nyman

I agree that a D800EM would have a limited market, though probably bigger than the Leica MM depending on the price of a D800EM. As far as modifying an existing sensor, I have heard of successful experiments to remove an Anti-Aliasing filter. However, I have not heard of any successful attempts to remove the Bayer filter array from an existing image sensor. This part of the operation would require a physical operation at a microscopic level. It may not even be possible considering the process used to put the Bayer pixel filters in place.
As you point out one would also have to modify the software algorithm in the camera processor which in a digital color camera uses the light values from eight adjacent pixels to calculate the likely color of each pixel. Without the latter modification the camera would still try to give you a color image except the colors would be based on completely erroneous information from the pixels.
That's why I am leaving my D800E alone, hoping that Nikon might bring out a "simplified" D800EM for high resolution, high ISO, B&W photography.
It sounds like most of you would not initially buy one, but I certainly would.

P.S.
Here is a recent statement from Panasonic:
Blame the Bayer filter for your camera’s poor low-light performance, says Panasonic.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/blame-the-bayer-filter-for-your-cameras-poor-low-light-performance-says-panasonic/#ixzz2SPQsML4Q
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

A general, generic topic D800EM [View all] , Bengt Nyman , Sat 04-May-13 02:26 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800EM