Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ScottChapin

Powder Springs/ATL, US
9045 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: FocusTune"

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter Member
Sun 28-Apr-13 02:05 PM

Richard,

Thank you for your thoughts! I fear that I might be going down a road without a conclusion too. The manual says don't use fine tuning because it causes errors in minimum and infinite focus settings, so it makes me wonder.

I am obsessive compulsive with accuracy. When two digital clocks don't read the same within 1 second, it irritates me...LOL. My wife says that if I am not good and go to hell, Satan will put me in a room full of clocks and no two will read the same.

That being said, I wonder whether this process of lens calibration will make me a little bit more frustrated than satisfied. Repeatability concerns me too. If all the conditions are right including a steady battery powered light source and the focus wanders, what am I checking...a little reduction in typical error?

I'm also considering LensAlign. That makes me wonder why not use it alone. Can't you visually and quickly see where the sharpest adjustments are and hone in on that as opposed to checking several groups of 5 unit intervals along the entire range? Also, wouldn't the visual check on the ruler give you a quicker answer that's realistically as good as it can get?

The instructions with FocusTune indicate that centering the lens axis with the target is not critical, but having the plane of the target parallel to the sensor's plane is. If that is not true, using a paper target seems futile.

I've been a little long winded, I know.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

A general, generic topic FocusTune [View all] , ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography , Sat 27-Apr-13 09:49 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: FocusTune