Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Damage from pre-AI lens?

opm

FI
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Damage from pre-AI lens?"

opm Registered since 22nd Apr 2013
Mon 22-Apr-13 10:07 AM | edited Mon 22-Apr-13 11:56 AM by opm

Hello everyone! I'm new here.

I'm posting because last weekend, I made a stupid thing and tried an old pre-AI (according to http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#35 and http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm) Nikkor 35 mm 2.8 lens on my two-week-old Nikon D800.

I was with a friend who has this old lens and wanted to try it on my new body. At first it seemed that the lens would not mount at all. But I have no previous experience of old Nikon lenses, and after my friend showed me how I need to align the aperture ring with the mark on the silver ring of the lens, I was able to mount the lens and even take some pictures. However, I noticed that the body always indicated the aperture to be F8, whichever F stop I dialed on the lens, and the pictures came out very badly underexposed.

Now I found several sites saying that such lenses (unless modified) "will not mount" (the above Ken Rockwell page) or some such thing and may damage modern Nikon bodies. This left me quite worried. Is it the meter coupling lever that may be damaged -- mine *seems* intact -- or something else? How can I tell that my body is OK? Do I have to try it with an AI lens to really know?

Could some of you more knowledgeable Nikonians please help a newbie here?

-opm

A topic tagged as in need of help Damage from pre-AI lens? [View all] , opm , Mon 22-Apr-13 08:07 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Damage from pre-AI lens?