Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E and image darkening at lower f stops

venusian

US
186 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"D800E and image darkening at lower f stops"

venusian Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Sun 21-Apr-13 01:15 PM

I took pictures of a still object with camera on tripod, shutter release cord, mirror lock up, etc. using a Zeiss 50mm Makro Planar ZF.2 and a Nikon 85mm f1.8 G lens.

For the Zeiss lens, the only variable that changed was the f stops: they were f/11, f/8, f/5.6, f/4, f2.8, and f/2.

I notice that from f/11 to f/4 the brightness of the images was about the same and that the histograms shifted slightly, but not materially. However, images taken at f/2.8 and 2.0 were darker than the preceding f stops and their corresponding histograms shifted to the left, with f/2 being a somewhat darker image than f/2.8.

When I repeated this using a Nikon 85mm f/1.8G lens, the image darkened and the noticeable left-shift of the histogram occurred from f2.8 to f/1.8.

Can anyone suggest reasons why images get darker at the lower/lowest f stops compared to higher f stops?

If need be, I can provide samples.

Thank you.

Nick (Roxbury, Connecticut Nikonian)

A general, generic topic D800E and image darkening at lower f stops [View all] , venusian , Sun 21-Apr-13 11:15 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800E and image darkening at lower f stops