Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 weatherproofing"

Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 21-Apr-13 01:19 AM | edited Sun 21-Apr-13 01:21 AM by Ferguson

Weatherproofing is a bit like saying something is "rugged" or "survives abuse well", where describing degree is too subjective. So this is just another data point you can't actually plot.

I've used both my D800 and D4 in rain several times. One day I need to take a picture of them drenched. I do not use a rain cover. I do dry them off when it stops raining, and I am careful not to get the front lens wet. Only the better lenses (200-400, 24-70 or 70-200) that are more sealed.

Just yesterday I was shooting a baseball game and we had about a 15 minute ran shower, enough my shirt was soaked, but no lightning, the team kept playing, I kept shooting. When it stopped, I had a (somewhat) dry rag and wiped the camera and lens down and finished the game. I live in florida -- I can't shoot without rain being a frequent companion.

And I've seen people trying to use plastic covers, I'm not convinced it so much keeps them dry as changes it from water to steam, at least down here in the heat.

I've never had any problems. Of course next time they may blow up in my hand or rust and jam internally. I am not recommending it. And if there's a dry place to stand, I stand there.

But I bought good cameras in part because they are supposed to also be tough, and so far they've lived up to that nicely.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

This is a hot, active topic! D800 weatherproofing [View all] , Phototherapy , Thu 18-Apr-13 04:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 weatherproofing