Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 weatherproofing"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Fri 19-Apr-13 07:53 PM

>Yes, I would rather be slowed down in the field (I am not a
>sports snapper) by having slower to open socket covers that
>seal better. I may even identify those functions I do not use
>and fill them with silicone.

It's a hope, but I'm sure you're not holding your breath in wait. I think Nikon does a good job of weather sealing for a wide range of environments. Beyond the limitations, the third-party aftermarket can take over, and usually does.

I don't treat my cameras particularly well. I use them, perhaps too often, in ways that physically bump into the limits imposed by weather seals, card and battery door hinges, strap lugs, tripod mounts, button pressure and few other things I can't remember right now. I just don't expect the camera to ever perform beyond its specified limits or beyond the limits imposed by the design. It happens anyway, but it's always accidental because I refuse to deliberately jeopardize a photography trip or a project. The backup I carry is all well and good, but I'd really rather always be using my main body.

In any event, that's how I see it.

>I have heard there is to be available soon an aftermarket
>protective coating for smart phones that might suit the less
>cautious photographer too.

Liquipel and Aridion are two products that are already on the market. Both of them work well for smartphones, but with one caveat: a full treatment penetrates inside the smartphone and in many environments can increase the operating temperature of the device because of the way the coatings trap heat and fill interstices.

The best thing about the Liquipel and Aridion coatings is that they add little or no measurable weight to the camera - at least, nothing of even the slightest significance. The coatings also do not add any bulk, unlike the, IMO, awful silicone body 'armour' products which can actually sometimes trap moisture against the camera body.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

This is a hot, active topic! D800 weatherproofing [View all] , Phototherapy , Thu 18-Apr-13 04:02 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 weatherproofing