Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image sharpening in camera?

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1479 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Image sharpening in camera?"

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Fri 03-May-13 05:39 PM

If you are always shooting RAW and using Capture NX2 for pp then you can do what you like with the in-camera sharpening because you can change it in NX2. In-camera sharpening sharpens everything, including noise and soft out-of-focus (oof) areas, causing a granular effect. So I usually remove ALL in-camera sharpening in NX2 using the "Camera Settings" options under the DEVELOP tab. Then I use a selection brush to select only the portions of the image that I want to sharpen and I use unsharp mask on them.

This helps to further isolate the main subject from the background.
You also need to be aware of the softening effect of in-camera Noise Reduction and this has its own sharpness setting. So I usually disable noise reduction except at High ISO settings.

Taking the above into consideration , I like to set in-camera sharpening fairly high to get punchy looking output direct from the camera. This is great for quickly displaying the pics, converting to jpegs etc. However, for the pics that I will work up for large prints or heavy crops, I remove the in-camera sharpening and adjust the NR and WB as the first part of my NX2 workflow. this can make the image look surprisingly soft but applying "unsharp mask" to selected areas will recover it in a better way than the in-camera sharpening ever could.

You can apply selective sharpening in pp by means of a selection brush or by using a group of strategically placed and sized colour control points (providing you enable the extended choices for colour control points).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

A topic tagged as having a question Image sharpening in camera? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Mon 01-Apr-13 10:38 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Image sharpening in camera?