Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Image sharpening in camera?

Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US
6108 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Image sharpening in camera?"

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter Member
Fri 03-May-13 12:21 AM

>I like the images from my newly acquired D800 but notice that
>all of my images need to be sharpened in Capture Nx2. It's
>about the same whether jpg or NEF. I'm using various lenses
>and all require sharpening to get crisp images. Is this
>normal for the D800? My D700 images seem sharper straight out
>of the camera and needs less PP than my D800. Would it help
>if I sharpened in camera?

In order to compare images from two cameras, first use a tripod to shoot the same exact scene, using RAW. This will produce two RAW images with different pixels densities.

Then, to compare those two images, you have to normalize the two images to the same pixel density. This means you have to downsize the larger one to make it the same size in pixels as the smaller one before you can make any comparisons. (Never upsize the smaller one, or you will reduce its quality. Upsizing creates artificial pixels to fill in the blanks, while downsizing simply averages pixels to form less of them.)

The D800 image has 7360x4912 pixels, while the D700 image has 4256x2832 pixels.

Use your PP software to downsize your D800 images to 4256 on the long side and use the short side default. (The short side will come out to 2840 pixels). You can compare them on-screen or output the images to the highest quality jpegs you can make.

View the two images side by side, and you should see that the D800 images are just as sharp as the D700 images.

Once you realize that the D800 is just as sharp as the D700, you can now appreciate that you have added resolution that you can use only IF you hold the camera more steady than you did with the D700.

The added resolution of the D800 gives you lots more cropping ability. You can often crop a person out of a group shot and make an 8x10 print that is crystal sharp - IF - you kept the camera steady enough!

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

A topic tagged as having a question Image sharpening in camera? [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Mon 01-Apr-13 10:38 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Image sharpening in camera?