Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Quandary about distortion correction.

leonardevens

US
182 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Quandary about distortion correction."

leonardevens Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011
Sat 30-Mar-13 07:31 PM

I've been working under Fedora Linux, using the program darktable to process NEF files created by my Nikon D90 and a Nikkor 18-200 mm lens and a Sigma 10-20 mm lens. It has a distortion correction module which works reasonably well.

But when I try to use it with my D800 files, although it claims to know which camera and lens I have, it doesn't do any correction. I think this is because the Lensfun database my version of darktable is using recognizes neither the camera nor the 24-70 mm lens.

So I have a couple of questions.

First, do any of you use Linux and darktable with the D800, and have you noticed the same thing.

Second, it seems, so far at least, that my D800 images don't need much distortion correction, if any. Thom Hogan's D800 book says that auto distortion correction works for NEF files only when images are displayed or converted by Nikon View NX2 or Capture NX2. But I am using darktable. So what is going on?

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

A general, generic topic Quandary about distortion correction. [View all] , leonardevens Gold Member , Sat 30-Mar-13 06:31 PM