Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Sunlight safety guidelines??

agitater

Toronto, CA
4551 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 Sunlight safety guidelines??"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Wed 27-Mar-13 01:40 AM | edited Wed 27-Mar-13 01:44 AM by agitater

Short of removing the lens and locking up the mirror and then leaving the camera lying at just the right angle in direct sunlight, I'm not sure how anyone would be able to get direct sun to fall on a sensor most of the day. Even then, I don't see what harm it would do aside from leaving you with a dust cleaning headache afterwards.

If you're referring to being out all day walking around with the camera on your shoulder, I wouldn't worry about it because that's precisely how cameras are designed to be used (among other ways too).

If you're talking about shooting directly into the sun, it seems basically a pointless activity during most of any sunny day. Shooting sunrise or sunset, though, makes great sense and you'll be joining the billions of other photographers who've done the same thing, over and over and over again, with no ill effects to any camera.

If you're talking about leaving the camera inside a camera bag sitting in direct sunlight all day long on a hot, humid day, then you're right. Eventually, excess heat might take its toll on something although I can't say it's ever hurt any of the cameras I've subjected to that kind of treatment. I wouldn't do it deliberately, but it happens from time to time. Never had a problem as a result though.

All I can add is that cameras are specifically meant to be used in good light. The more of it, the better. Cameras crave light and they're designed to capture light of all kinds. Bright sunlight all day, the long light of early morning or late day - we look for those things and we deliberately put our cameras in as much light as possible. Cameras are designed to be in sunlight, all day, every day.

Maybe I've misunderstood your post?

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

A general, generic topic D800 Sunlight safety guidelines?? [View all] , Phil5780 , Tue 26-Mar-13 06:28 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Sunlight safety guidelines??