Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What should I look for in a refurb D800 to make sure it...

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3576 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: What should I look for in a refurb D800 to make sure it functions properly?"

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 23-Mar-13 05:52 AM

The only common complaint is far left focus point accuracy with wide angle fast lenses, or at least that is what showed it the most in the early reports. Set up the camera on a tripod and set a flat target on a wall and take a photo in Live View mode and the take one or several in View Finder mode using the center focus point and then repeat using the far left focus point. Be sure to have plenty of light on the target.
You can also try it outdoors and then inside with incandescent light. Some people have reported a focus shift with incandescent lighting.

If you have the problem, it will be obvious so if your test repeats the same result several times when comparing the LV versus VF mode between the shots using the left focal point. Don't bother comparing focus between center and left, center should be better due to lenses are better in the center than corners, some are much better so comparing them could cause undue alarm. Compare photos of the center or far left focal point only between images of the same focal point using LV then VF mode.
A few people complained of a green tint to the read monitor but that one is probably more of a preference than a defect since Nikon did change the default color of the monitor, saying it was now more accurate. Mine sure is.
One more issue that came up a few times, the 10 pin jack was loose according to a couple reports on the forum.
Like most of us however, you will have a perfect camera and enjoy the highest performance available today in DSLR format.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A topic tagged as having a question What should I look for in a refurb D800 to make sure it... [View all] , NikonMark37814 , Fri 22-Mar-13 08:29 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What should I look for in a refurb D800 to make sur...
Reply message RE: What should I look for in a refurb D800 to make sur...