Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800e with 300 mm 2.8. Surprising results without and ...

david ashley

US
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800e with 300 mm 2.8. Surprising results without and with TC 's"

david ashley Registered since 15th Mar 2013
Tue 26-Mar-13 04:15 PM

Guys, thanks for your comments.

The primary purpose of my posting was for sharing my experience. I have seen lots of free advice on the internet. Wading through anecdotes, subjective experiences, and those experts trying to get you to buy equipment via their websites can be a waste of time.

If someone else's results don't agree with mine, it hardly matters. It is my camera, my technique, my results.

The point that I am making and that I believe is valid is that until you test your own equipment you won't know what works and doesn't work. I am recommending taking a baseline and under same conditions adjust the variables. In my case, what was true on a tripod with a fixed target has been validated in the field.

I was not at all happy with the results of shooting my telephoto wide open. My style is about sharp focus.

I was very happy with use of teleconvertors. Image quality of my subject was better than without it. The TC downside is loss of light and some autofocus hunting. I don't use the 1.4TC much because results are better with 1.7TC, ie, why bother with the 1.4?

I don't think my findings were a fluke, it was just my equipment.

You can read on line when diffraction (or any other word we come up with for image blurring) becomes a factor, or you can test it. In my case it was at F16 for a D800 E, with 300 2.8, with and without teleconvertors.

A general, generic topic D800e with 300 mm 2.8. Surprising results without and ... [View all] , david ashley , Thu 21-Mar-13 01:28 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800e with 300 mm 2.8. Surprising results without ...