Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Left Focus Issue....Still?

Tinkers Realm

Pacific Wonderland!, US
266 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Brace yourself..."

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011
Thu 14-Mar-13 01:50 PM | edited Thu 14-Mar-13 02:05 PM by Tinkers Realm

I had one of the D800's from the early release & it had the dreaded Left focusing issue in addition to the back focusing issue in addition to the recalled battery issue.
I complained from the first batch of pics that something was off with the camera ( not having heard of any troubles before never dreamed of AF/back focus issues on a brand new body). I was told by the local store where I purchased it that it was due to the high MP's. I could see the results in my images & continued to insist something was wrong but my shop only had a 14 day return policy so I kept shooting hoping to "Master this Monster of a MP camera". I started researching and discovered that others were having similiar issues and how to test/check my body. I ran the seiman star test, the portrait test, the cereal box test all w/ similiar results - my camera was sharp center w/MUP but a blurred mess on the left & soft on the right w/ occasional back focus issue. I finally called Nikon & sent it in for repair and had it back within the week. I retested it again & even resorted to sending the test images to an acquaintance that had the same issue & writes a popular blog and posted about his issues too as I was certain the images were not sharp but wanted another set of eyes. When my body was returned ( L.A. is where mine was sent) the left blur issue was somewhat improved but the center was now off and the right soft issue and back focusing issue was still evident/ unchanged.
By the end of the process I had lost all confidence in the camera and was sick & tired of testing it to prove what was so obvious in the images. I had a person that knew of the issues with my camera but still wanted to buy it at a deep discount & so I sold it.
I still would love to own this camera but have not repurchased it yet as I am going to just wait it out and see if Nikon either fixes the issue or replaces it with a similiar body.
Best wishes in your replacement but if the new body has the issue too - I would just ship it right back ASAP!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

This is a hot, active topic! Left Focus Issue....Still? [View all] , JimH Silver Member , Tue 12-Mar-13 03:56 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Left Focus Issue....Still?
     Reply message Brace yourself...
          Reply message RE: Brace yourself...
Reply message RE: Left Focus Issue....Still? Not Really.
     Reply message RE: Left Focus Issue....Still? Not Really.