Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress

wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress"

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Sun 24-Mar-13 08:57 PM | edited Sun 24-Mar-13 09:00 PM by wooster

Hi Clint,

I appreciate this is generally good advice and you would imagine the points you make to be the case. It would seem that many haven't found them to be that helpful in the D800 AF saga.

I actually am a NPS member. If the service I got was enhanced in some way, I dread to imagine what non-NPS members have to endure. All they did was mess up my camera more quickly than otherwise and then try to give me a cock and bull story as to why my AF was actually fine when I spoke to them on the phone.

Prior to this I was also a member of Canon Professional Services and on the occasions I used them for repair their service was speedy and effective. They did have the undesirable situation where one of their cameras ( 1D mk 4 ? ) had an AF issue of course and no company is perfect but oh dear me, this situation is way beyond that.

I'm based in the UK so the situation over here might be slightly different. The one advantage I had was that I didn't have to pay postage on the "repairs". I suspect, however, that this is a requirement on the manufacture made by British law rather than any goodwill on Nikon's part.

I would have used a particular major repair centre in the UK near where I live, who have a very good reputation and have assisted me with both Canon and Nikon in the past, but unfortunately when I asked, them, they told me they were unable to do any D800 repairs as they hadn't had authorised training from Nikon for this relatively new ( at the time ) camera. They suggested sending it straight to Nikon. ( I wonder if they knew something at that point )

I therefore used Nikon UK's only service centre assuming they might be reliable. However, the way Nikon dealt with my case was truly abysmal and I'm not elated at the thought of giving them more of my business. It's a real shame because over the years - and particularly the last 6 or so - I've been an admirer of Nikon's gear but there you go. It really saddens me not just due to my personal inconvenience and that of others, but I had always believed that Nikon looked after their customers so much better.

I don't want to moan any more about it because life's too short and it just sounds like sour grapes so I will shut up about it now. I am however in a bit of a fix as to how to replace my current gear in the next few months. I have two D700s with a fair old number of clicks which aren't going to last forever.

Anywyay, I will worry about that another day

Wooster

This is a hot, active topic! Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress [View all] , johno Silver Member , Mon 04-Mar-13 10:20 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fourth Repair Attempt Failure in Progress
               Reply message Glad Tidings!
                    Reply message RE: Glad Tidings!