Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Just for the Studio....800 or 800e. ..?

NatureDon

US
1143 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Just for the Studio....800 or 800e. ..?"

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007
Sun 17-Feb-13 12:45 PM | edited Sun 17-Feb-13 12:46 PM by NatureDon

Hi Don. Your situation, shooting 90% portraits as a pro with multiple D3S bodies, I don't understand the move to the high pixel sensor (and large files) of the D800 models for your business, although I am not a pro portrait photographer and I certainly don't know your business details. My first thought would be a D4 if you are looking to change, including consideration of occasional personal landscape projects.

If you really want the D800(or E), I would go with the D800. I have owned both, currently the E model. Not enough difference IMO to put up with the increased occurrence of moiré. I do see increased fine feather detail when photographing song birds with the E model; however when everything aligns such that I achieve that extra detail, moiré is frequently there with it...sometimes 50% of photos from a given session with a bird depending on light, the bird, and how close I am (how much detail I am picking out of those feathers)

I am willing to stick with the E model for that extra detail in bird feathers (at least for now), but I would not take that risk if it was my businesss...in that case I would be photographing with the D4.

Just my thoughts,
Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Just for the Studio....800 or 800e. ..? [View all] , aztwang Gold Member , Sun 17-Feb-13 01:21 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Just for the Studio....800 or 800e. ..?