Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Skyco

Roanoke Island, US
171 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800E Learning curve"

Skyco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Mar 2012
Mon 18-Feb-13 03:18 AM | edited Mon 18-Feb-13 03:33 AM by Skyco

Hi Dzung Le

I highly value Stan's advice and Howard's. I pretty much agree with what they are telling you.

The D800 greatly rewards careful intentioned holding and focus techniques. Casual handling of this camera will almost assuredly result in disappointment. This is a camera you want to get to know well. I strongly suggest Darrell Young's book on Mastering the Nikon D800. There are some AF settings that if you do not understand what they do and how they work can be a bad experience. And the manual does not give a clue as to what any of those features do!

Because of the minute detail that this camera can capture at a distance even minor focusing errors will show up as a bad image - even though the image in your view finder was OK - but magnified starts to look blurry. I have a wide angle shot of a mule's chest and head with a 24 -85mm zoom all in great focus- and when zoomed in to 100% on the eye I saw the reflection of my wife and me from about 6 feet away.

Click on image to view larger version
Click again...

Because this camera will capture fine detail with any good lens (or so it seems) if the focus is not spot on that detail - hair or spots on a grasshopper- even though the rest of the image is in focus - the shot will look not so good.

Many times especially with close focusing you might find manual focusing to be better. I prefer a high shutter speed or a tripod as opposed to VR with my lenses on the D800 but that my be just me and my lenses. I expose to the right (+.7) which gives me cleaner high ISO than otherwise and use Adobe Lightroom 4 for raw conversion and highlight recovery.

One of the things I love about the D800 is how Auto ISO works with Aperture Priority. Its amazing! and you can go back to a pre selected ISO quickly. AF-S 3D is awesome. I have my FN button assigned to aspect ratio because I use them all.

I hope this helps. I love my D800 and hope you love and enjoy your D800 as much as I do.

Well Wishes,

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyco_g/

This is a hot, active topic! D800E Learning curve [View all] , dhle Silver Member , Tue 12-Feb-13 01:45 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800E Learning curve
     Reply message RE: D800E Learning curve/It is not too bad!
          Reply message RE: D800E Learning curve/It is not too bad!