Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 & D4 shooters – hand holding shutter speeds

russg

Phoenix, US
1598 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 & D4 shooters – hand holding shutter speeds"

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007
Sun 10-Feb-13 08:00 PM

You are correct. The auto setting for minimum shutter speed in the auto iso setting only allows for whole stop adjustments to the reciprocal calculation. This allows of -2, -1, 0 +1 and +2 EV adjustments to the reciprocal, but not half-stop adjustments. So you could not dial in an automatic 1.5X adjustment.

I never use auto iso whenever the camera is on a tripod, because I can typically afford a long shutter speed and want to keep the camera at base ISO. But when I'm handholding the camera, I find auto iso to be very handy, and the auto minimum shutter speed makes it even hander, especially when using a zoom lens. I'm an "A" shooter, which allows me to control my depth of field. By setting a floor for minimum shutter speed, I like how the camera will then raise the iso in 1/6th stop increments to no more than is required for proper exposure. This leaves me in control of the aperture and a minimum shutter speed I'm willing to accept, and lets the camera make the calculation on the final variable, which would be shutter speed when light is sufficient, or iso when it is not.

Russ

A general, generic topic D800 & D4 shooters – hand holding shutter speeds [View all] , DiamondPhotography , Mon 04-Feb-13 06:47 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 & D4 shooters – hand holding shutter speeds