Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 v D4 - Silent Mode

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
4132 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode"

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 03-Feb-13 09:12 PM | edited Sun 03-Feb-13 09:13 PM by gpoole

Both cameras have a Quiet mode that is selectable on the release mode dial on the top of the camera. I assume that is what you are talking about.

The D4 also has a Silent mode that is only available in LiveView. See page 60 of the English manual for details and limitations. This mode is not available in the D800.

Quiet mode reduces noise in viewfinder mode by delaying the mirror return until you lift your finger from the shutter release button. It is not silent though.

Quiet mode in LiveView is quieter than Quiet mode in Viewfinder mode, but still not silent. In LiveView mode I cannot detect and difference between Single release and Quite release mode, probably because the mirror is not part of the operation.

The D4 LiveView Silent mode is silent. Apparently it does electronic shuttering instead of mechanical shuttering.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA.
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

A general, generic topic D800 v D4 - Silent Mode [View all] , DiamondPhotography , Sun 03-Feb-13 02:53 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 v D4 - Silent Mode