Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reikan FoCal or FocusTune to calibrate lenses with D800...

KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA
4954 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Reikan FoCal or FocusTune to calibrate lenses with D800?"

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006
Mon 18-Feb-13 02:53 PM

>Yes, that was my point..no matter how good the testing
>methods, there are going to be differences in AF Fine Tune
>values which are a function of f stop and focal length. It
>would be great if Nikon cameras allowed for different AF Fine
>Tune values at different focal lengths and f stops. With
>previous bodies I've never felt the need for it, but the
>D800/e resolves such amazing detail, that it would be nice to
>be able to do.
>
>Michael

On the main topic, I'm going to sit down and do some tuning today and I use Lens Align (and recently supplemented by their software). Thankfully my main job today is my 500mm prime (and TC14, TC17) so I don't have to deal with the zoom issue. Are you guys seeing large differences in optimum settings for example at 70 vs. 200mm on zooms? Surely the 200mm setting is the most important since the DOF will be narrowest there, so that's what I do. And likewise I just tune at the largest aperture, again on the theory that is the least forgiving.

I have been tuning all my cameras for years now, long before all this D800 AF business. Particularly with the 500mm being so unforgiving, that got me started way back when with my D300, then D700, D7000, D4, and now D800E. I also tune my 70-200 and 24-70 and my D800E is sitting at -5 in all but one case, even with TC14/17.

As an aside, I was processing some D7000 images today with 500mm and TC14 and boy is that tuning value at +10 sharp! I think when you have a good value dialled in, you really notice it on a long lens. It is much harder for me, evaluating real world images afterwards, to settle in on "did I really get a good value established" on shorter lenses like a 70-200.

Anyhow, my untuned D800E with 500VR has seen a lot of use already, is very sharp, and is delivering crazy resolution so I'm expecting modest adjustment values on the order of +5 for the TC14 and perhaps near zero on the TC17 and sans TC.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

This is a hot, active topic! Reikan FoCal or FocusTune to calibrate lenses with D800... [View all] , Abedirov , Thu 31-Jan-13 06:12 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Reikan FoCal or FocusTune to calibrate lenses with ...
     Reply message RE: Reikan FoCal or LensTune to calibrate lenses with D...