Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 flash exposure....interesting observation...

km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 flash exposure....interesting observation..."

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Sat 02-Feb-13 07:27 PM

When shooting in iTTL mode, Matrix is my standard and for slow shutter like 1/80 I normally use Rear Sync.
There was nothing in the resulting images to suggest a problem and I would not have noticed the difference except this time, I was sharing the SB900 between two cameras and noticed the difference in consistency.
I tried some test shots tonight with the D800 and same flash, with same settings and exposure frame to frame was closer but still not as consistent as the D7000. As I mentioned, flash is the only mode I have seen this, ambient light shot tonight and at the event were fine.

I extended the experiment tonight by getting 2 SB900's off cameras using fully manual and there was almost no difference in the 20 or so frames with the D800. There was no obvious difference when switching SB900's.

I tried a couple with ND filters and wide open 2.8, thinking there might be a slight case of sticking aperture but I could not tell anything for sure with only a few frames.
I am starting to think the D800 is normal and the D7000 is just abnormally consistent;>)

I do not consider it a problem, just an observation, a curiosity more than a complaint. After using both for the last two events(I've taken the D7000 in the past but not brought it out when shooting the D800) I find that I really like that combination.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic D800 flash exposure....interesting observation... [View all] , km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography , Thu 31-Jan-13 12:09 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 flash exposure....interesting observation...