Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using a cell phone or Nook tablet as monitor for Nikon ...

leonardevens

US
182 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using a cell phone or Nook tablet as monitor for Nikon D800?"

leonardevens Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011
Thu 31-Jan-13 09:26 PM

>Leonard,
>
>USB Adapter:
>Here is the adapter I am using with my Note:
>http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S2-Multi-functional-Connection-Kit/dp/B006MJZOMW/ref=pd_sim_cps_7
>
>Phone Size:
>As far as size goes, it's the reason I chose it. The screen
>is what does it for me with this phone. When I were it with
>tighter fitting jeans I am careful when putting on my shoes!
>You do notice it in your pocket. With that said, it fits fine
>in most pockets/pants. I've never trusted my breast pocket in
>a shirt to hold anything valuable, but it will slide into a
>dress shirt pocket.
>
>Apps:
>I've used "Remote Your Cam" app with the d800. It's
>a little clunky but gets the job done. I plan to evaluate
>others. Here is a short list of recently reviewed apps.
>http://geeknizer.com/control-canon-nikon-dslr-with-android/
>
>Let me know if I can test something specifically for you. I'm
>sure I'd be happy to.
>
>Dan Meier

Dan,

Thanks a lot for the help.

I will try this out at some point in the future. For the moment, I am still learning how to use the D800. I've been reading Thom Hogan's D800 guide, and trying some things out. I've only had the camera for a week or so.

Let me explain what I intend. I have been doing view camera photography for many years, in 4 x 5 since about 2002. It is a bit difficult to lug my 4 x 5 gear around at my age, so I've been looking for alternatives. It seems as if the D800 will allow me to produce images I can print at 16 x 20 without seeing much difference compared to scanning 4 x 5 negatives on an Epson V700. I will miss most movements, but tilts and swings are probably not so necessary in FX format because of the greater depth of field. I plan to use live view to compose and trim to shift in the long dimension. But there may be occasions when I need a somewhat larger image to look at when composing. So using a smartphone would be a help.

>
>

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

This is a hot, active topic! Using a cell phone or Nook tablet as monitor for Nikon ... [View all] , leonardevens Gold Member , Wed 30-Jan-13 10:03 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using a cell phone or Nook tablet as monitor for Ni...