Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
JHzlwd

Calgary, CA
458 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: OMG! This is sharp."

JHzlwd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Fri 01-Feb-13 05:14 PM

Pixel density on the D700 is significantly lower so you could expect to see the D800 delivering more detail with top lenses (among which the 24 - 70 is one).

Good comment re being a pixel peeper. To the maximum size of presentation most people want to prepare (or are even able to) I doubt very much there is significant visible difference between a D700 and D800 image. Up to an 11 X 17 print or even a bit larger the D700 should have no problem providing everything an inkjet can render, to say nothing of even a high definition monitor which typically has only about 100 pixels/inch (at 100% you would have to massively scroll the image to see all of it).

Where the D800 really shines is when you start printing at 24 - 30 inches on a side or if you need to crop. That's when it pulls away from the crowd and invades medium format territory.

The D800 has made a digital believer out of me, coming from medium format film. It has proved worth every penny, making possible what I had thought digital could not deliver for a long time yet. It's an extremely enjoyable and in some was liberating product, making photography that much more fun. Beware the principle down-side (according to some)which is a rather low burst rate although I find it plenty fast enough.

The D800 also raises the bar on dynamic range. Last summer I shot an entire wedding at ISO 4000 (no flash allowed, even for the pro) and every image was stunning - sharp and noise free to the extent no one except a pixel-peeper would spot it.

Best wishes,
JH

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto

A general, generic topic OMG! This is sharp. [View all] , SonjaM Silver Member , Tue 29-Jan-13 09:44 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: OMG! This is sharp.