Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using DX Lens on D800

fossiljim

CA
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Using DX Lens on D800"

fossiljim Registered since 17th Jan 2013
Thu 31-Jan-13 04:40 AM | edited Thu 31-Jan-13 04:53 AM by fossiljim

Recently moved to a D800 after a few years with my D90.
I had a 50mm 1.8G and the 105mm VR for full frame, but had not decided which FX midrange zoom I would put on my wish list. I did have the 18-200mm DX, which gave me nice sharp results on the D90, and I decided to try it on the D800 one day so I didn't have to lug the D90 around as well.
An immediate downside is that the useable viewfinder is reduced to the centre only with the automatic crop, making it difficult to frame some shots. However, even with the crop factor, I gained a bit of resolution on the D800 (15 versus 12 MP)
But what I noticed immediately were the wonderfully detailed and sharp images using the 18-200. Using the raw files in LR4 I could pull what seemed to be a blown-out sky back so that it looked perfectly exposed, and recovered detail in dark shadows. So there may be a benefit to using the DX lenses on your D800 just for the better processor and dynamic range. I was stunned. So stunned that I somehow found some cash to pick up the 24-120 f4, a lens that is giving me great results.
Jim

A general, generic topic Using DX Lens on D800 [View all] , Steve6344 Gold Member , Sat 26-Jan-13 02:35 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Using DX Lens on D800