Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
agitater

Toronto, CA
4527 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: D800 and Soft images"

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007
Sun 27-Jan-13 06:38 PM | edited Sun 27-Jan-13 06:40 PM by agitater

>BTW, if
>you wanted to see a soft Nikon zoom, the old 43-86 was such a
>dog you could hear it barking in your camera bag. Even
>through the viewfinder, it approached sharp and then drifted
>out the other side, never having achieved sharp focus!
>Sometimes I wish I had another one to remind me of how far
>optics have come! May it rest in peace.

Amen to that. It was a dog. It brings to mind the 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 AI-s. Goofy distortion at all focal lengths, wild CA up to about f/6.3, horrible bokeh. It was like some botched assignment produced by a student in his first shop class. I liked the focal range, so I kept trying to use the thing. The results usualy gave me a headache.

Same goes for the original 24-120 VR. I kept leaning toward my monitor and backing away and leaning forward again thinking there was something wrong with my vision - trying to get displayed shots in focus. Went through three different copies over the years before I just gave up on the zoom range. When the new version was announced, I said a silent prayer, placed an advance order, got it, loved it and haven't looked back. For travel and general purpose street photography, the new 24-120 VRII f/4 replaced my 24-70 f/2.8 on my D700 and now the lens is permanently mounted on my D800.

I could hope for an f/4 version of the 16-85 VR mounted on my D7000 but the lens mavens at Nikon seem to be getting ready to release a reboot of the 18-35 next?!? Like there are some significant number of Nikon owners pining for an updated 18-35?? Nikon must know what they're doing, but with a couple of glaring gaps in the DX lineup and some existing (and popular) FX lenses in desperate need of updates (80-400 VR, a standard f/2.8 zoom with VR), the announcement of the 18-35 reboot seems curious to me. I just think that between the 10-24 and the 12-24, the wide angle zoom is currently extremely well covered for DX, and that FX is extremely well covered by the 16-35 f/4, and that the old 18-35 was/is not bad at all. So why bother with a new version. Hopefully, Nikon will be vindicated quickly because a bunch of Nikonians will chime in on this thread to tell me that a serious number of them have been waiting very patiently for a better 18-35.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

This is a hot, active topic! D800 and Soft images [View all] , brian09223 Gold Member , Thu 24-Jan-13 09:05 PM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 and Soft images