Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"RE: Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800"

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Sat 26-Jan-13 12:57 AM | edited Sat 26-Jan-13 12:57 AM by M_Jackson

True to form, B&H got my package to me in a short period of time.

I bought two new Lexar Dual Card Readers and connected one to the computer just now. I still had the same 32 Gig Lexar UDMA 7 CF card I used in the first tests.

I connected the reader to the computer's USB3 adapter direct with a USB3 cable and then copied a pile of photos into a folder on the internal C SATA drive. The first few files copied at a speed of around 99 to 100 MB/s, then started slowing some. But the time it had copied around 100 files, the speed had dropped to around 68 MB/s, but then leveled off for the remaining 150 files.

After that test, I made a directory on an external USB3 Seagate drive and copied the same files into it. After a few files, it settled into copying at a rate of 50 to 53 MB/s.

This is a definite improvement over the previous AdvanCED card reader. I can live with this speed, but it is apparent the QXD card and reader are still faster on the uploads.

I haven't had the laptop out in a while, but still plan on using the newer Lexar Card Reader with it when I need to offload files on the road. The next time I upgrade my laptop computer, I hope to find one with at least two USB3 ports.

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe some of this will help others.

My D4 came back from Nikon Service today. The few test shots seem to indicate it is functioning well and focusing fine. I originally thought I might switch the primary slot to the new Lexar 1000x cards and let the QXD card be the seconary slot, but I think I will leave it as I originally had it set up.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800 [View all] , M_Jackson Silver Member , Wed 23-Jan-13 03:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800