Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800

M_Jackson

Jackson, US
747 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author

"Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800"

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005
Wed 23-Jan-13 04:43 AM | edited Wed 23-Jan-13 04:47 AM by M_Jackson

I have been using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s UDMA 6 card in my D4. It's at the shop. I bought a D800 while its there and used the same card in the new camera. Last week, I ordered two Lexar 1000x UDMA 7 cards and used one of them for the first time today.

I tried importing the files from the 1000x cards into Lightroom via my old USB3 card reader. The first couple of files loaded fine, then the transfers slowed down to a snail's pace. The files were copied to a USB3 External 3 TB drive via a USB3 card added to my 64 Bit Windows system.

I did a few tests.
When I connected an XQD reader directly to the USB 3 adapter and copied a bunch of files to the C drive, it copied at a rate of around 78 mb/s. The USB3 CF card reader transferred the files from the Sandisk Extreme Pro at around 35 MB/s at a consistent speed. When connected to either the internal C drive or the external USB 3 drive, the USB3 CF card reader the Lexar 1000x card started out at around 30 MG/s, then quickly slowed to around 12 MB/s. I stopped the transfers after it slowed to only 4.9 MB/s and only around 15 files. That makes me think I need a new Lexar USB3 CF card reader with the updated drivers to read USMA 7. I have no idea why it would slow down so drastically.

I also tried connecting the D800 directly to the computer via the USB3 adapter. While sending files to either the internal C drive or the external USB 3 drive, files transferred at a consistent speed throughout the transfer. Windows didn't display the speed in the dialog box, so I don't know exactly how fast they were transferring. It looked like around 2 seconds per 74,776k file...maybe 3 seconds.

The XQD file transfer confirmed the USB3 adapter card is working properly at USB3 speeds of around 75 MB/s. The old combo USB3 card reader is made by AdvanCED (purchased through Amazon) and has worked fine on the UDMA 6 cards.

Did everyone here buy a Lexar card reader with the updated firmware if they bought the Lexar 1000x cards?

Lastly, my old laptop is a Windows Vista machine. It only has a USB2 port. Would I need a new version of the Lexar CF card reader to copy files from the UDMA 7 cards at USB2 speed?

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

A general, generic topic Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800 [View all] , M_Jackson Silver Member , Wed 23-Jan-13 03:43 AM
Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Lexar 1000x CF cards with a D800